The Community Action Committee of the Lehigh Valley is a 52-year-old nonprofit, anti-poverty agency that grew out of the Johnson administration’s War on Poverty. CACLV has a $24 million annual budget, almost 100 employees and four subsidiaries. We run the Second Harvest Food Bank and the area’s largest shelter for homeless families. We rehab homes, build homes, and counsel first-time homebuyers. We do small business training and lending and neighborhood revitalization. We do community problem-solving and advocacy on public policy.
Do you want to be a real change agent? CACLV is where you want to be. Our organization has principles, values, vision, a supportive Board of Directors, a long history, a culture, and a record of pushing the system around. We’ve got funders who love us, funders who are scared of us, and funders who hate us because we’ve taken them or their friends on. We’ve got people in our community who want to be inspired and plenty more who need to be and need someone to provide that inspirational message.
We are seeking a Deputy Executive Director for Strategy, Communications and Development. We need someone with a charismatic personality, who understands what “economic justice” looks like, and what oppression and poverty can do even to the best of us. We need someone who doesn’t think success is defined by how much she (or he) is paid but by how much of a difference can be made; someone who loves to pick a fight but knows when the timing is right. We need someone with great communication skills, the technological prowess and marketing smarts to convince people to give and/or volunteer, and an insightful perspective on what’s wrong with the world and a robust desire to save it. Someone who understands the marketplace, politics, culture and how the interact (or not). We need someone who understands and has plenty of proven expertise in digital marketing.
Our Executive Director is retiring in three years and this position is part of that succession. There is potential for whoever is the best fit in this position to compete for that job when the time comes. Check out the job description below, and ask yourself if you have the energy, resilience, education, experience, and wisdom for this position. Send us your resume and cover letter and sell us on why there is no one better for this job than you.
Job Title: Deputy Executive Director for Strategy, Communications and Development
Full Time Exempt
Starting salary range: $70,000+
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Deputy Executive Director (DED) for Strategy, Communications and Development will evaluate ongoing needs and anticipate emerging needs of low-income residents of the Lehigh Valley. The DED will also oversee organizational messaging and work collaboratively with the senior management team to develop and implement marketing and communication strategies to broaden the awareness of CACLV’s programs and subsidiaries.
- Collects and analyzes data relevant to identifying unmet needs of the members of the Lehigh Valley’s low-income community and the community at large.
- Evaluates the ongoing needs and anticipates emerging needs of low-income residents of the Lehigh Valley.
- Forecasts threats and opportunities that could arise and interprets the data for both internal and external application.
- Analyzes current strengths and weaknesses of the agency for its ability to respond to the threats and opportunities.
- Transfers knowledge to staff and board, and ultimately the community, to develop an understanding of the changing needs and issues that might require action by the agency.
- Drives the agency’s education of the community and its preparedness for the forecasted challenges.
- Articulates the agency’s role in responding to the effects of poverty on the needs of the entire community.
- Identifies and recruits strategic partners.
Marketing and Communications
- Develops communications and marketing strategies to broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact in collaboration with the Executive Director and senior management team.
- Creates marketing strategies for CACLV to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media, stakeholders and key influencers.
- Develops a comprehensive marketing plan that includes events, branding, website, media relations, press releases, social media and newsletters and executes plan with the Executive Director.
- Develops and refines CACLV’s core messages to ensure organizational consistency.
- Identifies significant media opportunities and public policy issues that can be leveraged to support CACLV’s work. Creates and implements a plan to optimize them.
- Manages CACLV’s website and social media platforms.
- Manages the production and distribution of quality ancillary materials that support development and marketing goals.
- Identifies challenges and emerging issues faced by CACLV. Works with senior management and staff to recognize and optimize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions.
- Ensures consistent image throughout CACLV, its programs and subsidiaries.
- Provides guidance to programs and subsidiaries on marketing and communications.
- Leads projects as assigned, such as cause-related marketing and special events.
- Recruits and manages volunteers and interns to strengthen the agency’s marketing and communication efforts.
Planning, Management and Evaluation
- Leads the development and achievement of marketing and communications mission and goals.
- Ensures that goal-related evaluation systems are in place and progress reported to Executive Director.
- Develops short- and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing and communications program and its activities, monitors progress, assures adherence and evaluates performance.
- Develops, implements and monitors systems and procedures necessary for the smooth operation of the marketing and communications function.
- Stays current on developments in the fields of marketing and communications, non-profit management and governance, and agency-related issues; incorporates this information to help CACLV operate with initiative and innovation.
- Oversees the development and implementation of a comprehensive resource development plan.
- Oversees the development of strategies and coordination of fundraising activities.
- Oversees the program planning and management functions within the agency.
- Oversees the grant writing, contract compliance and monitoring functions within the agency.
Public Relations and Community Responsibilities
- Assists in the coordination of services with other agencies that serve similar constituents.
- Builds, maintains and nurtures collaborative relationships within the community.
- Represents the agency at community meetings with and/or in the absence of the Executive Director.
- Fulfills public speaking engagements as needed.
- Serves as spokesperson for the agency in the absence of the Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director, and/or Board President.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required. Master’s degree preferred
- Five to ten years of experience in marketing or communication with demonstrated success, preferably in the non-profit sector
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing and communications activities
- Demonstrated successful experience writing extensively, making presentations, and negotiating with media
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications
- Computer literacy in word processing, data base management and page layout
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Detail oriented, ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently
- Personal vehicle or access to independent transportation required
- Comprehensive Health Benefits – Medical, Dental, Vision and Prescription
- Agency paid Life Insurance and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401 (k) Retirement Plan with agency contribution
- Generous Paid Leave Time-
- Vacation- 15 Days: Earn more time after 3 and 5 year anniversaries
- Sick- 9 Days Annually
- 9 Observed Holidays
CACLV is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or handicap.