Relief Caretaker (Live-In)
Sixth Street Shelter
Part Time Non Exempt
Starting salary range: $11.00/ hour plus reduced rent
Application Deadline: Open until filled
The Community Action Committee of the Lehigh Valley, one of the most influential and well-respected non-profits in the region, is looking for a Relief Caretaker (Live-In) for our Sixth Street Shelter. This is a terrific opportunity to put your energy, experience and passion to work.
The live-in relief caretaker resides in the 2 bedroom apartment adjacent to the Sixth Street Shelter. The live-in relief caretaker maintains the security of the Shelter buildings, grounds and contents, and the safety and security of its residents and performs cleaning, light maintenance and clerical duties overnight, weekends, and holidays.
- Operates and monitors the Shelter’s security system.
- Responds to resident emergencies, including medical emergencies, mental health crises, domestic violence, residents’ use of drugs and alcohol, and unattended children.
- Monitors resident compliance with curfew and visitors' rules. Performs physical check of each apartment at curfew to make sure that all residents are in their apartments and that there are no other persons on the premises.
- Responds using proper procedures to fire and security alarms.
- Monitors Shelter parking lot and playground.
- Patrols interior and exterior of Shelter buildings.
- Accepts and acknowledges donations.
- Intervenes by calling the police when neighborhood disturbances threaten the Shelter.
- Provides timely and accurate reports to weekday staff communicating appropriate information related to the buildings, property and residents.
- Notifies director (or designee) immediately in cases of serious emergencies, including calls to the fire department, calls to police, injuries or other serious problems involving residents, etc.
- Notifies appropriate caseworker immediately concerning serious problems regarding residents.
- Assists with clerical duties as requested.
- Answers the phone, directs calls and/or provides information as necessary.
- Records Shelter maintenance problems in the caretaker log.
- Performs cleaning duties.
- Maintains safe physical environment (sidewalks and steps) through debris, ice and snow removal.
- Notifies director (or designee) immediately in cases of serious maintenance issues.
- Performs light physical maintenance and repairs as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Hours: Rotating Schedule
Saturdays, Sundays, and agency holidays
On call Monday-Friday 11:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.; Saturday & Sunday 10:00 pm to 9:00 am
Other shifts as needed
Site: 219 North Sixth Street, Allentown, PA
Requires residence in 2 Bedroom Shelter Apartment
- Must reside in Shelter Apartment.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Ability to maintain the security of the shelter buildings, grounds and contents; ensure a safe, secure environment;
- Ability to perform light maintenance and clerical duties;
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and climb up stairs;
- Crisis management skills preferred;
- Effective written and verbal communication skills required
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
CACLV is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or handicap.